You can use clear scotch tape to collect samples of visible mold on a wall, floor, ceiling, or personal possession. The lab test will help you to know if a substance is mold and if it’s mold, what kind of mold it is. All molds are not the same.
How Do You Take Mold Samples?
If you hire a professional mold inspector to come to your home, they’ll take samples and send these samples to a third-party laboratory to find out the kinds of mold present in your home. What if you can collect the samples yourself and send them directly to the same lab? It would not only save you money but also give you an opportunity to discuss your mold test results with microbiologists who understand these molds more than anyone else.
Taking Mold Samples is easy! All you need is CLEAR SCOTCH tape and to follow the simple steps below.
- Pay for the number of samples you wish to send to the lab
- Wear gloves if necessary.
- Cut a few inches of clear scotch tape (2-3 inches). Avoid touching the sticky side.
- Holding the edges of the piece of tape, press it gently to the suspect area. Apply light pressure to the non-adhesive side.
- Peel tape off surface with slow, steady pressure, holding the tape edges only.
- Without folding the tape, apply sticky side of tape (i.e., side with mold) to the inside of the plastic bag.
- Close bag and label the outside of the bag with a brief description of the sample. For example:
- Tape #1: Basement, east wall
- Tape #2: Windowsill, master bedroom
- Tape #3: Ceiling tile, bathroom
- Tape #4: Under counter, kitchen sink.
(NOTE: More than one mold type may be present. If several sites show visible mold growth, it is advisable to take more than one sample.)
- Put only one sample in each bag.
- Download, print and complete the sample submittal form. If you cannot print the form, get a blank sheet of paper and provide the following information:
- Fax (if available)
- Email address
- The date the samples were collected
- Credit card information for payment (Visa or MasterCard). You can also call us at 905-290-9101 to provide credit card information on the phone
- Put the samples into a mailing envelope together with your completed sample submittal form (or the sheet you completed) and mail your samples to:
Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories (MBL) Inc.
1020 Brevik Place, Unit 1A
Mississauga, ON L4W 4N7
What to expect after the lab receives your samples
We’ll analyze your mold sample in our ISO 17025 Accredited laboratory and send you a lab report to tell you:
- exactly what type of mold your sample is
- whether your sample is a toxic mold or just a cosmetic problem
- if there are any known health problems associated with that mold and what they are
- how to safely remove it
- how to make sure it never comes back.
About Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories
Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories is accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2017 International Standard. ISO/IEC 17025 is one of the most important accreditations for all types of laboratories performing tests and calibration.
Microbiology testing laboratories need to get accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 to demonstrate their technical competency and to ensure the accuracy of the test results. Having accreditation by regulatory bodies certifies that the results are consistent and accurate and are generated using industry-standard protocols.